Penrose School

Description

Penrose School is part of the Elmwood and Penrose Federation.
Penrose School is a secondary special school for students aged 4 to 11 years old with PMLD Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, SLD Severe Learning Difficulties, MLD Moderate Learning Difficulties, SEMH Social Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties and complex medical needs. Penrose is located on Albert Street, Bridgwater.
Penrose is one of two special schools in the Elmwood & Penrose Federation. We have a number of pathways a student can follow depending on their individual needs.
Pupils in the Early Years and Key Stage One, follow the Early Years Curriculum which is based around play and forms the foundations for learning and development.
As pupils learn and develop they can follow one of two pathways in Key Stage Two. Due to their complex needs, children may require a sensory approach to their learning, this group of learners will follow the Multi Sensory Curriculum which is designed to build on early developmental skills. Pupils who require a more formal approach to their learning will follow the National Curriculum where they will be taught discreet Maths and English. The other subjects are taught through a thematic curriculum which blends the Arts, Humanities, Science and Technology.
We have developed outstanding links with local mainstream schools who offer inclusive opportunities for our pupils to develop further. We recognise and celebrate achievements at all levels at Penrose School. We use immediate praise and rewards, weekly assemblies, commendation book, end of term medals and end of year awards.
We are very passionate about our relationships with families. We hold a variety of activities where we actively encourage our families to be part of, these include coffee mornings, workshops, stay and play sessions, reward assemblies and parenting programmes. Our Family Team are always available to support families and signpost to relevant external agencies for further support.
Elmwood & Penrose Federation comprises of two schools that are part of the all through 4 to 19 years school approach to providing a different educational experience for students in Sedgemoor and other areas of Somerset and surrounding counties. Students who attend our schools all have Education Health and Care Plans and are referred to us from the SEND Panel at Somerset County Council.
Our Federation mantra is Believe you can. We have high expectations for our students and prepare our students for life and work. Core to this is the development of growing independence, Transitions between primary, secondary and out 6th Form provision are important milestones in every childs life and we believe that these should be marked as rights of passage to adulthood for all children and young people. Our Federation is proud to be able to offer new and well resourced facilities and being an active part of the local community.

Special educational needs and disabilities information

Get directions

General info

Further information

• Headteacher Ms Helen Farnell
  • Chair of Governors Mr David Purcell
  • Clerk to Governors Mrs Nicola Almond
  • Lead Finance Officer Mrs Claire Pendlebury

Ofsted information

• Ofsted number 123942
  • Last inspection date 07/03/2017
  • Current Ofsted rating Good