Disabled Children and Young People Service

This service offers a range of support, information and advice to help you. You can find information on what they provide here.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities for example stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

You can find more information about Disabled Facilities Grants on the GOV.UK website.

Grants for computers

You could be eligible for a free computer, or at least for a big discount, from one of the UK’s Government or charity schemes.

These schemes help low-income families, or people with disabilities, by offering computers at reduced cost, or grants large enough to cover all or part of the cost of the hardware. Find more information about free and discounted computers.

Energy management information

Energy Management – Free advice for Somerset residents

Somerset residents who are interested in energy efficiency and saving money off their fuel bills can get free advice and support from the Home Energy Team at the Centre for Sustainable Energy in Bristol.

The Home Energy Team can advise you about understanding your energy bills, your heating system and on everything from simple no cost-low tips through to financing large scale energy saving improvements.

And, there is more support available to Somerset residents who are struggling to keep their homes warm, finding it difficult to keep on top of their bills or need advice on grants for home improvements. Phone free on 0800 082 2234.