The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK’s biggest public service department, it administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 18 million people.

It provides services and support in a number of ways – for example through Jobcentre Plus, The Pension Service and partner organisations. You can find out more on the Government website.

There are many independent organisations that can give you advice about benefits. Here are some of them

Contact –  a charity that works with families of children who have an additional need and/or disability. You can also use their free helpline 0808 808 3555, where an adviser will be able to help you explore what is available to you.

Citizens Advice a network that offers confidential advice online, over the phone and in person for free. They are independent and totally impartial.

Supportline offers confidential support to children, young people and adults by phone, email and post.

Disability rights UK – provides a range of information and resources online, including benefits advice.

Shelter – provides information about benefits and housing rights in England.

Somerset Household Support Fund – Financial support for vulnerable households which are struggling to afford household essentials this winter