Dentists check your oral health, any risk of future disease, and advise you on the care and treatment you need to make sure you have good oral health.
Some people get worried about going to the dentist. If you are worried about going to the dentist there is information to help you.
It is important that you try to keep your teeth healthy and clean to maintain good oral health.
These websites tell you more about this
It is really important that children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities see their dentist regularly. It can be particularly important for young people with additional needs to see the same dentist or group of dentists, at routine times and in routine places, and for them to understand what is likely to happen while they are at an appointment.
The dentist will tell you how to register and how you can make appointments. Often you need to phone for an appointment, but some dentists now do this online.
At your check-up, your dentist may
- Carry out a full examination of your mouth, teeth and gums
- Ask about your general health and any problems you have had with your teeth, mouth or gums since your last visit
- Ask about and give advice about your diet, smoking and drinking
- Ask about your teeth-cleaning habits and give you advice about the most appropriate ways to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy
- Explain any risks, as well as costs, of all treatment you may need
- Discuss with you when your next visit should be